Jan 30, 2020
The staff of Vinegar Hill Veterinary Group is going to be celebrating National Pet Dental Health Month again this February. This event, sponsored by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), is to bring awareness to the effects that dental disease can have on our pets, such as pain and infection of the teeth and gums, and changes to internal organs.
A very important part of dental health in our companion animals is routine dental cleanings that can prevent periodontal disease and allow for a complete oral examination that can detect hidden problems as well. To encourage dental cleanings, we will be offering 10% off all dental cleanings and procedures in the month of February.
While regular dental checkups are essential to help maintain your pet’s dental health, there are a number of signs that dental disease has already started. If you notice any of the symptoms below, please contact us:
- Red swollen gums
- Bad breath (similar to the smell of a rotten egg)
- Teeth that are broken, loose, discolored or covered in tartar
- Abnormal chewing, drooling or dropping food from the mouth
- Bleeding from the mouth
- Shying away from you when you touch the mouth area
- Frequent pawing or rubbing at the face and/or mouth
- Reduced appetite or refusal to eat
- Weight loss
For more information about National Pet Dental Health Month, please contact Vinegar Hill Veterinary Group at 718-797-6275 and 718-852-8281, or visit the AVMA’s website at www.avma.org/PetDental.